Fangming Liu (刘方明 教授、博导)
Professor, Google Scholar Citations
NSFC National Science Fund for Excellent Young Scholars
CloudNeXt (Cloud/Edge dataceNter
& grEen computing/communicaTions)
FAX: (+86) 027-87557354
Fangming Liu received his B.Engr. degree from Department of Computer Science and Technology, Tsinghua University, Beijing, and his Ph.D. degree in Computer Science and Engineering from Hong Kong University of Science and Technology; from 2009 to 2010, he was a visiting scholar at the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of Toronto, Canada; from 2012-2013, he was a StarTrack Visiting Young Faculty in Microsoft Research Asia (微软亚洲研究院“铸星计划”). He is leading the research group of CloudNeXt: "Cloud/Edge Datacenter & Green Computing/Communications" (“云-边-端协同数据中心与绿色计算/通信”) to bridge theory and practice, within the following cutting-edge areas of distributed and networking systems:
· Cloud Computing and Infrastructure: Datacenter, Green Computing/Communications, Multi-/Hybrid-/Inter-Clouds, Smart Data-driven/Machine-learning (ML) based Power Monitoring/Management for Energy-efficiency
· Cloud/Edge OS and Full-Stack System Virtualization: Software Defined Networking (SDN), Network Function Virtualization (NFV), Virtual Machine (VM), OpenStack & Container, FPGA & DPDK for Acceleration
· Edge-Cloud interplaying Systems and Apps: Edge Computing and Mobile-Cloud, 5G and applied ML, Internet Content Distribution, Peer-to-Peer (P2P) Systems, including consumer cloud storage (1-click file hosting and synchronization, a.k.a 网盘云存储), content delivery networks (CDNs), collaborative caching, live video streaming and video-on-demand (VoD)
· Methodologies: Co-design of software/hardware with Open-source running codes (e.g., DHL (dynamic hardware library): an FPGA-CPU co-design framework for accelerating NFV with DPDK), Cross-disciplinary theories and their applications, including Game Theory, Queueing Theory, Control Theory (Lyapunov optimization)
· Real-World Measurements: such as past projects on PlanetLab: Internet Measurement: Topology & Evolution, Measuring and optimizing delays in video conferences
· Motto: applications drive innovation, software defines everything, while hardware changing the future!
· [Congratulations!] In 2019, our paper "Fine-grained Warm Water Cooling for Improving Datacenter Economy" accepted by the top computer architecture conference ACM/IEEE ISCA, with acceptance ratio: 16.9% (62 out of 365 submissions)
· [Congratulations!] In 2019, our paper "PostMan: Rapidly Mitigating Bursty Traffic by Offloading Packet Processing" accepted by the top system conference USENIX ATC, with acceptance ratio: 19.9% (71 out of 356 submissions)
· [Congratulations!] In 2019, our paper "Data-driven Task Allocation for Multi-task Transfer Learning on the Edge" accepted by IEEE ICDCS 2019, acceptance ratio: 19.6%; our paper "NFVdeep: Adaptive Online Service Function Chain Deployment with Deep Reinforcement Learning" accepted by IEEE/ACM IWQoS 2019 (co-located with ACM FCRC 2019)
· [Congratulations!] In 2018, we received the First Prize of Natural Science of Ministry of Education in China (教育部自然科学一等奖)：云计算环境下虚拟机资源管理基础理论与核心方法（The fundamental theory and key approach of virtual machine resource management in cloud computing）
· [Congratulations!] In 2019, our three papers accepted by IEEE INFOCOM 2019: "Winning at the Starting Line: Joint Network Selection and Service Placement for Mobile Edge Computing", "Adaptive Interference-Aware VNF Placement for Service-Customized 5G Network Slices", and "An Online Market Mechanism for Edge Emergency Demand Response via Cloudlet Control", with acceptance ratio: 19.7%
· [Best Paper Award!] ACM e-Energy 2018 (supported by ACM SIGCOMM): "Data Driven Chiller Sequencing for Reducing HVAC Electricity Consumption in Commercial Buildings", which is a real-world practice of Green computing under an Edge computing scenario/case
· [Congratulations!] In 2018, our two papers accepted by IEEE ICDCS 2018: "DHL: Enabling Flexible Software Network Functions with FPGA Acceleration" (Open-source codes @ GitHub), and "Non-IT Energy Accounting in Virtualized Datacenter", with acceptance ratio: 20%
· [News] In 2018-2019, he has been invited by Hong Kong RGC (Research Grants Council) to be an external reviewer of General Research Fund (GRF)
· [News] In 2018, he is invited to be the Keynote Speaker in IEEE INFOCOM 2018 Workshop on Big Data and Cloud Performance (DCPerf 2018), on Monday, April 16, 08:10-09:00 am, Room: Iolani 3, Hilton Hawaiian Village, Honolulu, HI, USA, titled "Shaping the Clouds from a QoSE (Quality-Open-Smart-Green) Perspective"
· [Congratulations!] In 2018, our three papers accepted by IEEE INFOCOM 2018: "Load Balancing across Microservices", "Demystifying the Performance Interference of Co-located Virtual Network Functions", and "Adaptive VNF Scaling and Flow Routing with Proactive Demand Prediction", with acceptance ratio: 19.2%
· [Congratulations!] Since 2018, he has been the PI of the NSFC-DFG Joint Research Project (国家自然科学基金委员会与德国科学基金会国际合作研究项目)：SmartEdge: Concepts and Methods for Edge Computing（边缘计算基础理论与关键技术）, National Natural Science Foundation of China (NSFC) and Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft (DFG)
· [CFP] In 2018, in the light of his experience across the fields of edge computing, cloud computing and their interplay, he has been appointed as a Guest Editor of CCF TON Special Issue on Edge Computing and Networking (see submission date/requirements and guest editors here). He has been invited to be a Publicity Co-Chair of IEEE ICNP 2018, Cambridge, UK, September 24-27, 2018. He has been invited to be a TPC of ACM Multimedia 2018
· [Congratulations!] In 2017, he received the National Science Fund for Excellent Young Scholars (国家优秀青年科学基金), National Natural Science Foundation of China (NSFC)
· [Congratulations!] In 2017, our paper "Pricing Intra-Datacenter Networks with Over-Committed Bandwidth Guarantee" (Slides & Live Audio officially public, welcome download and post comments) has been accepted by USENIX ATC 2017 (one of the top system conferences, 60 accepted out of 283 submissions, HotCloud 2017 and HotStorage 2017 are co-located with USENIX ATC 2017). In 2017, our paper "Towards Load-Balanced VNF Assignment in Geo-distributed NFV Infrastructure" has been accepted by IEEE/ACM IWQoS 2017 (29 accepted out of 146 submissions, acceptance ratio: 19.9%)
· [Congratulations!] Since 2017, we got funding of National Key Research and Development (R&D) Program Project on Key Technologies and Systems of Highly Energy-Efficient Cloud Datacenters (国家重点研发计划项目“高效能云计算数据中心关键技术与装备”，课题负责人), in collaboration with Inspur Company
· [News] In 2017, he has been invited by Hong Kong RGC (Research Grants Council) to be an external reviewer of General Research Fund (GRF) and Early Career Scheme (ECS)
· [CFP] He has been invited to serve as IEEE INFOCOM 2018 TPC and ICNP 2017 Publicity Co-Chair and IEEE/ACM IWQoS 2018 TPC, and WWW 2018 Demo Track TPC
· [Congratulations!] In 2017, our four papers accepted by IEEE ICDCS 2017: "Joint Optimization of Chain Placement and Request Scheduling for Network Function Virtualization" in research track (cloud computing & data centers), "Virtual Machine Power Accounting with Shapley Value", "Multi-Resource Load Balancing for Virtual Network Functions" and "Reducing Cellular Signaling Traffic for Heartbeat Messages via Energy-Efficient D2D Forwarding" in applications & experiences track
· [Congratulations!] In 2017, our paper "Handling Flash Deals with Soft Guarantee in Hybrid Cloud" has been accepted by IEEE INFOCOM 2017; our paper "Cocoa: Dynamic Container-based Group Buying Strategies for Cloud Computing" has been accepted by ACM Transactions on Modeling and Performance Evaluation of Computing Systems (TOMPECS); our paper "eBA: Efficient Bandwidth Guarantee under Traffic Variability in Datacenters" has been accepted by IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking (ToN)
· [News] He has been invited to serve as TPC of IEEE ICDCS 2017 (both "Cloud Computing and Data Centers" track and "Distributed Green Computing & Energy Management" track), TPC and Publicity co-Chair of IEEE/ACM IWQoS 2017, and TPC of ACM Multimedia Systems 2017
· [News] In 2016, he has been invited to be a committee for reviewing candidates of CCF Outstanding Doctoral Dissertation Award (中国计算机学会优秀博士学位论文奖)评审专家
· [News] In 2016, he has been elevated to be IEEE Senior Member and CCF Senior Member
· [CFP] He has been invited to serve as ICNP 2016 Poster/Demo Co-Chair
· [News] In 2016, he has been invited to be ACM China SIGCOMM Chapter committee member
· [CFP] In the light of his overall experience in the field of cloud computing, he has been appointed by EAI (European Alliance for Innovation) as the Editor-in-Chief of EAI Endorsed Transactions on Collaborative Computing, see our Welcome Message and Inaugural Issue (PDF version), and 7th Issue
· [Congratulations!] In 2015-2016, my students Hongkun and Yuchen got offers from CMU and University of Washington, respectively; Peng Shu, Zhi Zhou and Fei Xu are awarded with Excellent Master and Doctoral Dissertation Awards of Hubei Province (湖北省优秀硕士学位论文、优秀博士学位论文), respectively; Haowen and Bin got offers from Tencent; Zhi got National Scholarship for PhD student and Tao got National Scholarship for Master student; Jie Yu joined Facebook @ Silicon Valley. See more achievements of my group’s students.
· [News] In 2016, our paper "Bilateral Electricity Trade Between Smart Grids and Green Datacenters: Pricing Models and Performance Evaluation" has been accepted by IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications (JSAC).
· [News] In 2016, our paper "Flexible Instance: Meeting Deadlines of Delay Tolerant Jobs in The Cloud with Dynamic Pricing" has been accepted by ICDCS 2016 (68 accepted out of 386 submissions, acceptance ratio: 17%).
· [Congratulations!] In 2016, our two papers "Demystifying the Energy Efficiency of Network Function Virtualization" (Best Paper Candidate, perhaps the 1st study on energy aspect of NFV in the literature) and "On the Performance of Cloud Storage Applications with Global Measurement" have been accepted as Full Papers by IEEE/ACM IWQoS 2016 (only 27 are accepted as Full Papers, which results in an acceptance rate of 20.6%).
· [News] In 2016, our paper "Dynamic SDN Controller Assignment in Data Center Networks: Stable Matching with Transfers" has been accepted by INFOCOM 2016 (double-blind review, acceptance ratio: 18.25%).
· [Congratulations!] In 2016, one paper "Not All Joules are Equal: Towards Energy-Efficient and Green-Aware Data Processing Frameworks" has been selected as Best Paper Runner-Up of IEEE IC2E 2016
· [Congratulations!] In 2015, our TWO system papers "UniDrive: Synergize Multiple Consumer Cloud Storage Services" (real-working system open download @ GitHub) and "Zero-Cost, Fine-Grained Power Monitoring of Datacenters Using Non-Intrusive Power Disaggregation" have been accepted by one of the premier system software conferences: ACM/USENIX/IFIP Middleware 2015 (ONLY 23 accepted out of 120 submissions).
· [News] In 2015, our paper "eTrain: Making Wasted Energy Useful by Utilizing Heartbeats for Mobile Data Transmissions" has been accepted by ICDCS 2015 (70 accepted out of 543 submissions, highly competitive acceptance ratio: 12.8%).
· [News] In 2015, our paper on datacenter network performance guarantee has been accepted by IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking (ToN).
· [News] In 2015, our paper "Pricing Bilateral Electricity Trade between Smart Grids and Hybrid Green Datacenters" has been accepted by ACM SIGMETRICS 2015 as a poster paper (only 57 papers, including 25 poster papers, were accepted among 239 submissions).
· [Congratulations!] In 2015, our paper published in Proceedings of the IEEE (Impact Factor: 9.237, the most highly-cited general interest journal in electrical engineering and computer science), which is the latest comprehensive study on "Managing Performance Overhead of Virtual Machines in Cloud Computing: A Survey, State of Art and Future Directions" has become an ESI Highly Cited Paper.
· [News] In 2014, we published the newest survey on "Harnessing Renewable Energy in Cloud Datacenters: Opportunities and Challenges", in IEEE Network Magazine.
· [Congratulations!] In 2014, he received the National Program for Support of Top-Notch Young Professionals of National Program for Special Support of Eminent Professionals: 国家高层次人才特殊支持计划（中组部“万人计划”）青年拔尖人才
· [Congratulations!] Since 2014, we got funding of National 973 Basic Research Program (Youth Scientist Project) on "Software-defined Networking (SDN)-based Cloud Datacenter Networks".
· [News] In 2013, we published the latest comprehensive survey on Mobile Cloud Computing in the literature, in IEEE Wireless Communications Magazine (Impact Factor: 8.972, ranking Top#1 for impact and citations in Telecommunications according to the Thomson Reuters Journal Citation Reports).