Prof. Fangming Liu (刘方明 教授、博导)
National Program for Support of Top-Notch Young Professionals of National Program for Special Support of Eminent Professionals 国家高层次人才特殊支持计划（中组部“万人计划”）青年拔尖人才
& Green Computing/Communications
FAX: (+86) 027-87557354
Fangming Liu received his B.Engr. degree from Department of Computer Science and Technology, Tsinghua University, Beijing, and his Ph.D. degree in Computer Science and Engineering from Hong Kong University of Science and Technology; from 2009 to 2010, he was a visiting scholar at the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of Toronto, Canada; from 2012-2013, he was a StarTrack Visiting Young Faculty in Microsoft Research Asia (微软亚洲研究院“铸星计划”). He is leading the research group of "Cloud Datacenter & Green Computing/Communications" (“云数据中心与绿色计算/通信”) to bridge theory and practice, within the following cutting-edge areas of distributed and networking systems:
· Cloud Computing and Infrastructure: Datacenter, Green Computing/Communications, Mobile-Cloud, Multi-/Hybrid-/Inter-Clouds
· Cloud OS and Full-Stack System Virtualization: Software Defined Networking (SDN), Network Function Virtualization (NFV), Virtual Machine (VM), OpenStack and Container
· Cloud-Client Networked Apps: Internet Content Distribution, Peer-to-Peer (P2P) Systems, including consumer cloud storage (1-click file hosting and synchronization, a.k.a 网盘云存储), content delivery networks (CDNs), collaborative caching, live video streaming and video-on-demand (VoD)
· Methodologies: Co-design of software/hardware, Cross-disciplinary theories and their applications, including Game Theory, Queueing Theory, Control Theory (Lyapunov optimization)
· Real-World Measurements: such as past projects on PlanetLab: Internet Measurement: Topology & Evolution, Measuring and optimizing delays in video conferences
· Motto: software defines everything, while hardware changes the future!
· [Congratulations!] In 2017, our paper "Pricing Intra-Datacenter Networks with Over-Committed Bandwidth Guarantee" has been accepted by USENIX ATC 2017 (one of the top system conferences, 60 accepted out of 283 submissions, HotCloud 2017 and HotStorage 2017 are co-located with USENIX ATC 2017). In 2017, our paper "Towards Load-Balanced VNF Assignment in Geo-distributed NFV Infrastructure" has been accepted by IEEE/ACM IWQoS 2017 (29 accepted out of 146 submissions, acceptance ratio: 19.9%)
· [News] In 2017, he has been invited by Hong Kong RGC (Research Grants Council) to be an external reviewer of General Research Fund (GRF) and Early Career Scheme (ECS)
· [CFP] He has been invited to serve as IEEE INFOCOM 2018 TPC and ICNP 2017 Publicity Co-Chair
· [Congratulations!] In 2017, our four papers accepted by IEEE ICDCS 2017: "Joint Optimization of Chain Placement and Request Scheduling for Network Function Virtualization" in research track (cloud computing & data centers), "Virtual Machine Power Accounting with Shapley Value", "Multi-Resource Load Balancing for Virtual Network Functions" and "Reducing Cellular Signaling Traffic for Heartbeat Messages via Energy-Efficient D2D Forwarding" in applications & experiences track
· [Congratulations!] In 2017, our paper "Handling Flash Deals with Soft Guarantee in Hybrid Cloud" has been accepted by IEEE INFOCOM 2017; our paper "Cocoa: Dynamic Container-based Group Buying Strategies for Cloud Computing" has been accepted by ACM Transactions on Modeling and Performance Evaluation of Computing Systems (TOMPECS); our paper "eBA: Efficient Bandwidth Guarantee under Traffic Variability in Datacenters" has been accepted by IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking (ToN)
· [News] He has been invited to serve as TPC of IEEE ICDCS 2017 (both "Cloud Computing and Data Centers" track and "Distributed Green Computing & Energy Management" track), TPC and Publicity co-Chair of IEEE/ACM IWQoS 2017, and TPC of ACM Multimedia Systems 2017
· [News] In 2016, he has been invited to be a committee for reviewing candidates of CCF Outstanding Doctoral Dissertation Award (中国计算机学会优秀博士学位论文奖)评审专家
· [News] In 2016, he has been elevated to be IEEE Senior Member and CCF Senior Member
· [CFP] He has been invited to serve as ICNP 2016 Poster/Demo Co-Chair
· [News] In 2016, he has been invited to be ACM China SIGCOMM Chapter committee member
· [CFP] In the light of his overall experience in the field of cloud computing, he has been appointed by EAI (European Alliance for Innovation) as the Editor-in-Chief of EAI Endorsed Transactions on Collaborative Computing, see our Welcome Message and Inaugural Issue (PDF version), and 7th Issue
· [Congratulations!] In 2015-2016, my students Hongkun and Yuchen got offers from CMU and University of Washington, respectively; Peng Shu, Zhi Zhou and Fei Xu are awarded with Excellent Master and Doctoral Dissertation Awards of Hubei Province (湖北省优秀硕士学位论文、优秀博士学位论文), respectively; Haowen and Bin got offers from Tencent; Zhi got National Scholarship for PhD student and Tao got National Scholarship for Master student; Jie Yu joined Facebook @ Silicon Valley. See more achievements of my group’s students.
· [News] In 2016, our paper "Bilateral Electricity Trade Between Smart Grids and Green Datacenters: Pricing Models and Performance Evaluation" has been accepted by IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications (JSAC).
· [News] In 2016, our paper "Flexible Instance: Meeting Deadlines of Delay Tolerant Jobs in The Cloud with Dynamic Pricing" has been accepted by ICDCS 2016 (68 accepted out of 386 submissions, acceptance ratio: 17%).
· [Congratulations!] In 2016, our two papers "Demystifying the Energy Efficiency of Network Function Virtualization" (Best Paper Candidate, perhaps the 1st study on energy aspect of NFV in the literature) and "On the Performance of Cloud Storage Applications with Global Measurement" have been accepted as Full Papers by IEEE/ACM IWQoS 2016 (only 27 are accepted as Full Papers, which results in an acceptance rate of 20.6%).
· [News] In 2016, our paper "Dynamic SDN Controller Assignment in Data Center Networks: Stable Matching with Transfers" has been accepted by INFOCOM 2016 (double-blind review, acceptance ratio: 18.25%).
· [Congratulations!] In 2016, one paper "Not All Joules are Equal: Towards Energy-Efficient and Green-Aware Data Processing Frameworks" has been selected as Best Paper Runner-Up of IEEE IC2E 2016
· [Congratulations!] In 2015, our TWO system papers "UniDrive: Synergize Multiple Consumer Cloud Storage Services" and "Zero-Cost, Fine-Grained Power Monitoring of Datacenters Using Non-Intrusive Power Disaggregation" have been accepted by one of the premier system software conferences: ACM/USENIX/IFIP Middleware 2015 (ONLY 23 accepted out of 120 submissions).
· [News] In 2015, our paper "eTrain: Making Wasted Energy Useful by Utilizing Heartbeats for Mobile Data Transmissions" has been accepted by ICDCS 2015 (70 accepted out of 543 submissions, highly competitive acceptance ratio: 12.8%).
· [News] In 2015, our paper on datacenter network performance guarantee has been accepted by IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking (ToN).
· [News] In 2015, our paper "Pricing Bilateral Electricity Trade between Smart Grids and Hybrid Green Datacenters" has been accepted by ACM SIGMETRICS 2015 as a poster paper (only 57 papers, including 25 poster papers, were accepted among 239 submissions).
· [Congratulations!] In 2015, our paper published in Proceedings of the IEEE (Impact Factor: 6.911, the most highly-cited general interest journal in electrical engineering and computer science), which is the latest comprehensive study on "Managing Performance Overhead of Virtual Machines in Cloud Computing: A Survey, State of Art and Future Directions" has become an ESI Highly Cited Paper.
· [News] In 2014, we published the newest survey on "Harnessing Renewable Energy in Cloud Datacenters: Opportunities and Challenges", in IEEE Network Magazine.
· [Congratulations!] Since 2014, we got funding of National 973 Basic Research Program (Youth Scientist Project) on "Software-defined Networking (SDN)-based Cloud Datacenter Networks".
· [News] In 2013, we published the latest comprehensive survey on Mobile Cloud Computing in the literature, in IEEE Wireless Communications Magazine (Impact Factor: 6.524, ranking Top#1 for impact and citations in Telecommunications according to the Thomson Reuters Journal Citation Reports).